I wanted to start the new year off with something great at Today, I Read… and then I got some wonderful news from Sheila—she’s allowing me to give away an autographed copy of Wish by Alexandra Bullen.
Here’s a rundown of the story:
For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone… until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn’t just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.
With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can’t solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.
In a breathtaking debut from Alexandra Bullen, WISH asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?
Since my Hush, Hush giveaway was such a success (and a ton of fun to boot), I decided to keep the format. Basically, to enter the giveaway, you must help write a story…this time around, a fairytale.
In this post will be a sentence which will serve as the beginning of our story. The first person to comment must copy the first sentence and add another sentence to the story, the person after that must copy the previous commenter’s sentence and add another sentence, and so forth.
I know, I know…the torture! the agony! the inhumanity!! You’re probably naming all the ways you aren’t creative, but I beg to differ (don’t you remember that awesome finger painting you did when you were six that could rival a genuine Van Gogh?) and plus, wouldn’t it all be worth it if you win a copy of Wish?!?
So without further ado…
Here’s the first sentence:
I never believed in fairy godmothers until one showed up on my doorstep with a broken wand.
Soooo…LET’S GET CREATIVE PEOPLE!
Some end notes:
- Yes this giveaway is open internationally, so even if you’re on the other side of the world, feel free to jump in. (If you’re under the age of 13, please make sure you have your parent or guardian’s permission first.)
- If you wish to have more entries, I suggest subscribing to the comment thread, telling your friends, and adding more sentences–one at a time–to the story. (Only one new sentence at a time, meaning no back to back sentences are allowed…so, more participants = more chances for you to win. Also, please don’t try to cheat because I’ll know and you’ll be disqualified.)
- Please, let’s keep the profanity to a minimum. I don’t have a problem with it, but my readership has varying sensibilities…
- Questions? No problem, just shoot me an email (todayiread[at]gmail[dot]com) and I’ll answer ASAP.
- Most important note of all? HAVE FUN!
The contest will be open until 11:59PM EST Friday January 29, 2010. I’ll comb through the entries and select a winner on Sunday January 31.